[PD] GUI overload

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Fri Feb 15 05:03:55 CET 2013

> > OK, so I had several L2Ork rehearsals on new machines with this patch
> > applied and I can confirm that this is actually a regression. GUI in
heavy
> > traffic situations gets visibly sluggish and falls behind, so to say.
This
> > still leaves the only notable difference between pd-l2ork and pd that
has so
> > far proven pd-l2ork resistant to the problems encountered below and
> those
> > have to do with the way how pd-l2ork has altered both
> netsend/netreceive and
> > also provided its own disis_netsend/receive externals that have been
> > reported before on this list to have fixed similar gui freeze issues...
>
> Why is it disis_netsend/receive and not simply a fixed netsend/receive?
Did
> you change the interface in some way?
>
> -Jonathan

Those have additional features (e.g. UDP broadcast, obviously operation
without gui hiccups, as well as enqueing messages and dumping them all at
once) that I implemented as separate externals before forking pd-l2ork so I
did it in a way that did not mess with the core pd. Since then, I fixed
netsend/receive in the core part of Pd as well but kept those for backwards
compatibility purposes unaltered.