[PD] RPi Video player was : Re: RPi - GEM openGL

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 15:30:20 CET 2013

On 17/02/13 17:51, Antoine Villeret wrote:
> hey Simon,
>
> I haven't check the JSON/RPC API of XBMC but yes I think there is some
> possibilty here
> Another way is to start with video player example like Ju said on his blog :
> http://w.xuv.be/projects/raspi_video_loop
> I'll give it a try next week and keep you aware.
> My goal is to be able to sync several RPi in a frame accurate way.

yes - me too, that's the first step .. xbmc seems promising, the way I've done
it very successfully in the past is just sending frame numbers to pix-video in
gem, using the computer that was running audio as the master clock. My friend
found that just using omxplayer kept quite good sync over 20 minutes or so, and
she is quite picky about that kind of thing. I didn't see the result myself, it
was on the other side of the world.

After sync I want to tackle crossfades, which pdp might be able to achieve, then
the kind of framing that can be done by moving a rectangle around in 3D, which
will require some extra work. But not in a huge hurry, and a lot of other things
to do, but should get my hands on a Pi in the next few weeks.

I've got lots of existing GEM stuff I was running a few years ago using a mac
mini per projector that I'd like to port to Pis.

Simon