[PD] Fwd: Re: RPi Video player was : Re: RPi - GEM openGL

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 16:27:10 CET 2013

sorry, first went privately by mistake ...

On 17/02/13 22:47, dreamer wrote:

>> I've got lots of existing GEM stuff I was running a few years ago using a
>> mac mini per projector that I'd like to port to Pis.
>
> You'd need to start with porting entire GEM to OpenGLES.

that would be nice, but very big.

But actually the way my patches work I only need a few things from GEM ...
create a window, read a video file, to texture it onto a rectangle and move it
around. Most of the hard work in the patches was the control logic and the
interfaces.

It would be easier to port the patches to a new set of very basic video objects
than to port GEM, and making those 4 or 5 objects in openGL-ES seems manageable.

But doing it with GEM in mind may be a very small contribution towards porting GEM.

http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/p/pdp/

Looking in the raspbian repository and pdp is built there .. is it not
working??? That could at least provide an xv window, video file playing and
crossfading (hardware playback would only happen then if libquicktime was using
it, but it's there raspbian ready to test later this week when I get some
hardware in my hands.

Simon