[PD] GUI abstraction issues

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 03:03:27 CET 2013

>________________________________

Hi Esteban,
     If your abstraction is named "foo.pd", then make a help patch named "foo-help.pd"
and put a [pd META] subpatch in it.  Inside the subpatch, make a <ctrl-5> comment
with this text:
INLET_0 Put your inlet name here

That will display "Put your inlet name here" when you hover over the leftmost inlet
in "Autotips" mode.  (You can address the other inlets with INLET_1, INLET_2, etc.,
as well as OUTLET_0, etc.)

I could have made it a lot easier by searching the abstraction itself for the info to
display in the tip, but I _really_ want to discourage the practice of using the
abstraction as its own documentation since that excludes the possibility for an
example patch (which IMO is the most important part of the help patch).

You can find more info on the pd META stuff in doc/5.reference/all_about_pd_META.pd
or just use Help->Search for "all about pd META"

-Jonathan