[PD] Multi-channel sound from pd on raspberry pi: can someone confirm?

Alexander Wilson contact at alexanderwilson.net
Mon Feb 18 21:24:58 CET 2013

Hello.

I'm trying to find a straight answer to this question in the forums. Is
anyone using pd on Rpi with more than two channels of audio output? and is
it sounding ok?

I have tried with a cmedia cm6202 6 channel (5.1) but can only get it to
work adequately if I deactivate output multiple audio channels (more than
2). I need at least 6 channels and preferably 8.

Has anyone tried to plug in several cheap stereo usb interfaces onto the
Rpi through a hub, and setting the different interfaces as multi outs in
audio settings, in order to multiply the outputs? Does this work?

I would also like to know if anyone has tried an hdmi decoder with more
than 2 channels from pd, and whether this actually works. I'm confused
about how multichannel sound is handled in hdmi, but would live to know if
there is a possibility of outputing 8 channels of analog audio if, say, one
of these hdmi decoders were plugged onto the rpi:
http://www.allaboutadapters.com/hddodtsdihdo.html

If nothing else works, I'm considering just buying 3 more raspberry pis,
and linking them somehow... I just want to make sure I'm not missing
something, before I spend money on these.

Many thanks....