[PD] gem segfault when opening video

Charles Goyard cg at fsck.fr
Tue Feb 19 14:54:56 CET 2013

Hi,

thanks for trying.

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> hmm, both Gem (i tried 0.93.git:ee897d5 and 0.93.3 from Debian) and
> gmerlin (1.2.0~dfsg-3 from Debian) can play the file just fine here.

Now that's strange. A big difference is that I run on Archlinux.
I have:
gmerlin 1.2.0
gavl 1.4.0
libquicktime 1.2.4

gmerlin seems to be built with libquicktime as a dependency. I even
tried applying your fix_zeroplugins.patch from the debian package,
it didn't fixed it :).

> you could also just deinstall the GMERLIN-backend (if you don't need
> it for other stuff). since PdX gives you an all or nothing, you'd had
> to remove (or rename) the "gem_filmGMERLIN.so" file.

I'm more ok with converting the video to mpeg :).

However, I really love the possibility to force the selection of the
backend.

----

With gdb I could see that the crash occurs inside
filmGMERLIN::getFrame(void), on this line :

 bgav_read_video(m_file, m_gframe, m_stream);

m_stream is a null pointer there. I changed :

  bgav_set_video_stream(m_file, m_stream, BGAV_STREAM_DECODE);
  if(!bgav_start(m_file)) {
    close();
    return false;
  }

to:

  bgav_set_video_stream(m_file, m_stream, BGAV_STREAM_DECODE);
  if(!bgav_start(m_file) || !m_stream) {
    close();
    return false;
  }

and now at least it does not segfaults. Maybe there's something nicer to
do (printing an error message on the console ?), but it looks like a
good start.

Cheers,
Charles