[PD] using puredata to play playlist gapless

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 23:13:24 CET 2013

On Die, 2013-02-19 at 13:55 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Pd will play all files gapless, according to their file length.  The 'gap'
> problem mostly refers to the MP3 format, which encodes the audio in fixed
> frame length.  So if your song doesn't fit neatly into a multiple of the fixed
> frame length, you get a gap, i.e. the leftover part of the last frame is
> filled with silence.  That's a problem with the MP3 format that basically all
> other file formats don't have.

This is nitpicking, but actually most ways to play a sound files in Pd
are not totally gapless, unless the file lengths are exactly a multiple
of 64 samples. This is the case with [readsf~ ], but also with
[tabplay~]. Both start only on block boundaries. The only way (I
currently can think of) to play absolutely gaplessly is to use
[vline]/[tabread~ ] construct.

Roman