[PD] loading libraries rfc

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 18:16:13 CET 2013

To fix bug #2803987 I need everyone to spend
five minutes to help add content for

doc/5.reference/all_about_libraries.pd

Here's mine:

So far I've got three subpatches, with no content yet
Here they are with a quick outline of content:

1) How to load libraries
* [import] - claims to load into patch-local namespace, but I don't think it's true

* [declare] - compatible across all Pds
* -lib flag
* namespace prefix
* no prefix, if binary is in search path and is first one returned?

2) What happens when you load a library
* stuff in libname_setup function gets executed
* stuff in libname_setup typically adds the class to a global list

* if using namespace prefix (or no prefix?) the object is then instantiated, too

* [declare] doesn't work
* aside from syntax aesthetics this is _the_ reason to use [import]

* any problems with namespace prefix here?

-Jonathan