[PD] pd META extension

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 07:10:44 CET 2013

Hello list,
     I'd like to extend the syntax of the xlet metadata in the [pd META] subpatch.

Currently something like [clip] has this for the inlets:

INLET_0 float list
INLET_1 float
INLET_2 float

That gets picked up by the autotips which display the methods in the tooltip.

However, for objects that have multiple xlets like [clip], an xlet tip would be more
helpful if it included a one or two word description of what the inlet is for.  So
when the user hovers over the middle inlet the tip can also say something like:
Inlet 1 of clip (low value): float

and for the right inlet:
Inlet 2 of clip (high value): float

I just need some clear syntax for separating the inlet description from the methods.

Idea #0: semicolon
Example:

INLET_1 float;
low value
Nice because there is no chance of ambiguity, since the semi can't be part of a method
name.  Unfortunately it forces a newline.

The semicolon + description part would be optional so there's no need to change any
of the current docs.  Plus it's easy to parse.

Thoughts?

-Jonathan