[PD] denormals from [cyclone/svf~] on Linux 64 bit

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 22:26:49 CET 2013

Since last week I have my own Linux 64 bit machine. One of the first
issues with Pd-extended on this machine was a strongly increased CPU
load when audio input is temporarily shut off from parts of my patch.
Subnormals! After three hours of puzzling I identified at least one
offender: [cyclone/svf~].

Sorry that most of my posts to this list seem to be about subnormals.
That's quite boring. But they're seriously hogging my CPU time like a
swarm of grasshoppers. As I got this 64 bit machine so recently I
don't know if the issue with [cyclone/svf~] exists in earlier Pd-E
versions. Also, I can not understand why it happens, because the
object is protected against subnormals with function PD_BIGORSMALL().
This works well on all my other systems. Moreover, it works well for
other feedback delay objects like [lop~] on Linux 64 bit.

I'd like to know if anyone can confirm the issue. I was planning to do
my own state variable filter anyway, but it would be nice to have a
working [cyclone/svf~] as well. Check the object with attached patch
if you can. To be specific, I have the issue with Pd-E 0.43.4 for
Debian Squeeze amd64 from nightly builds. The i386 build is not
affected.

Katja