[PD] [PD-announce] [pd-fileutils] released, a command-line tool for managing pd files

s p sebpiq at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 23:05:37 CET 2013

Hi all!

I am pleased to announce that I just released the first working version of
pd-fileutils (https://github.com/sebpiq/pd-fileutils) which is a node.js
package and a command-line tool for fiddling with pd files.

Right now, the command-line tool only allows you to render .pd files to
SVG, but expect more functionalities in the future (I am open to
suggestions).

If you know JavaScript and node.js, you can also use the API for scripting
operations with your pd files. Right now, it can only parse .pd files to a
standard JavaScript object, which you can then manipulate easily with
JavaScript.

This library is a by-product of the WebPd project (
https://github.com/sebpiq/WebPd), which aims at running Pure Data patches
on the browser.

It is also a proposal for an alternative file format for Pure Data, based
on JSON. There was a discussion about that on pd-dev :
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2012-06/018436.html and I would
like to start it again ;)

Cheers!

Sébastien Piquemal

PS : there will definitely be bugs, so don't "hesitate" to report them :)