[PD] tooltip rfc

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Thu Feb 28 00:54:47 CET 2013

> Just to clarify, I'm proposing to separate them completely.  So there
> would be "autotips" in edit-mode that follow the mouse and that the user
> can only turn on or off[1].  There would additionally be a "canvas tip"
which
> the user can already write to using the "tip" method (which could be
> renamed
> if that causes confusion).

I see.

> As far as the canvas tips, I'm thinking just use the current syntax for
the
> current behavior:
> tip 1 foo <-- show "foo" in canvas tip
> tip 0 <-- hide canvas tip

It might be a good idea then to also extend it to reference a specific
canvas (or level up kind of like window_name and patch_name and likely
others do), so you could show a tip from a subpatch on the parent patch.
E.g.

tip 1 0 foo (0 would refer to this canvas)
tip 1 2 foo (2 would be two levels above this one)