[PD] create/access udp sockets from within pd

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 15:09:15 CET 2013

On Fri, 2013-03-01 at 13:38 +0100, IOhannes zmölnig wrote:
> On 03/01/2013 01:15 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > Actually, it seems to have glitches. With above setup, right after
> > connecting [udpclient] to the netcat server, you cannot send anything
> > from netcat to the client. Only after sending at least one packet from
> > [udpclient], it flushes all messages it has received from the server
> > since the connection. From this point in time, the communication works
> > instantly both ways.
> >
> > This is on Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) with most recent iemnet and Pd compiled
> > from source, but also with Pd-0.43.3-extended.
> >
> > When using netcat as UDP client, I can start sending packets from the
> > server immediately.
>
> are you sure?
> because i cannot.
> i get exactly the behaviour you just described, but when using netcat as
> both client and server.

After re-checking, I confirm what you say. I must have mixed up client
and server when testing the first time. Which means: [iemnet/udpclient]
works as expected. After thinking about it, it is clear that the server
cannot know which clients are connected until they actually send
something, since there is no connection handshake involved.

Roman