[PD] create/access udp sockets from within pd

Matthias Blau blau_m at web.de
Fri Mar 1 16:43:06 CET 2013

>> but you can test whether [udpclient] works as expected by doing the
>> following:
>> - run a simple udp-server from the commandline (the following uses
>> netcat to Listen on Udp Port 7777)
>> $ nc -u -l -p 7777
>> - start Pd (in another terminal), load iemnet, and do
>> [connect localhost 7777(
>> |
>> [udpclient]
>> |
>> [print foo]
>>
>> then send something (e.g. "64 64 10") via [udpclient].
>> you should see whatever you sent appear on the console running netcat, e.g.:
>> @@
>>
>> now, in the very console running netcat type something "e.g. "foo") and
>> hit return. Pd should print something like "102 111 111 10".

Well, that works perfectly. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for the
Outline turntable, whereas the python snippet I sent with my first email
does. Also, iemnet objects in Pd-extended (even the help files) under
WinXP crash pd.

So, at the moment, I use the shell object to execute a python script
every time I want to know the table position (this is the most important
information from the table). Not too elegant, but it works.

Any better ideas?

Thanks again,
Matthias