[PD] bang vs empty list

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 1 19:58:49 CET 2013

>________________________________

Outputting the message from [textfile] (which has its own problems because it
outputs anything instead of list), then something like [list-drip]. Splitting the message
up in the list domain ensures that you won't lose data since everything is treated as
a list.  So if there is the word "bang" somewhere in the middle of the message it will come out
of [list-drip] (or a home-brewed one using [list split]) as "list bang" which gets interpreted
by [select] as a symbol message.  That's the only way to parse a text file in Pd without
running into errors (although you'll still lose data, for example, if consecutive whitespaces
are needed, or special characters that Pd escapes, etc.).

-Jonathan