[PD] wireless audio from Pd to PA system (katja)

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 00:41:05 CET 2013

Sending Pd-audio over Wifi would have the advantage that no extra gear is
needed at the transmitter side, simplifiying the setup of a wearable live
performance computer. Therefore this would be the method of my preference,
if it is possible at all.

This weekend I did some experiments with [udpsend~] and [udpreceive~] over
Wifi. I soon found that using a wireless router makes little sense. Wifi is
'half duplex', meaning it can't send and receive at the same time, so the
router is either receiving from one computer or sending to the other. A
waste of time.

I learned about 'ad hoc networks', where computers can be paired via Wifi
and talk to each other directly, without a router. Never knew about this
before. What a cool option that is. Found a howto here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Adhoc

In ad hoc mode, latency is lower, although on average not as low as over
cable, and with more fluctuation. Moreover, there was considerable packet
loss, which did not happen in wired LAN. Therefore, tcp protocol should
probably be used instead, to check for packet loss and eventually resend
packets.

I found that [udpsend~] can not send packets of 64 samples. It seems that
256 samples is the minimum. Why? Maybe it is best to pack each signal
vector in a list and use the [tcpsend] / [tcpreceive] combo instead.

A well-known issue with music streaming is clock drift, caused by the
slightly different clock speeds between audio cards. This also happens when
sending over a local network (wired or wireless). Clock drift is typically
0.0001 to 0.001 ratio of nominal sample rate. A small difference, but it
causes one buffer to be skipped or duplicated once in a while. To
compensate, the signal should be resampled to match the receiver's sample
rate. This would not require a complicated interpolation scheme, but still
it would probably need one or more new Pd classes. An interesting article
about clock drift and possible solutions is here:

http://www.carot.de/Docs/AES_Tokyo.pdf

If further experiments are promising enough, I would try this board for the
receiver:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A13/A13-OLinuXino-WIFI/

Otherwise, I would just be happy to have learned about ad hoc networks.
This can come in handy for other purposes too, for example when synching Pd
computers.

Katja