[PD] playing sound files

Funs Seelen funsseelen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 18:42:34 CET 2013

Hi Peter,

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Peter O'Doherty <mail at peterodoherty.net> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> What is the best way of playing (long) sound files and visualising the
> waveform and position in the file?

I guess the fact that there hasn't been an (`on list') reaction yet is
because there is no single clear answer to your question.

> A combination of soundfiler, phasor, arrays and a hslider? Or a version
> using readsf?

You gave a couple of answers here yourself. I can add some extra information:

[soundfiler] outputs the length of your file (at least with the
-resize option) in samples, [samplerate~] gets the current samplerate,
so you can calculate the `time' length of the file (and the frequency
and amplification values for [phasor~], if you'd like to make use of
that construction). [tabwrite~] prints the samples of the current
block to an array (and probably the previous if your array is larger
than the blocksize, but I haven't studied this particular code yet).
Make sure this is another array than the one you read from (in case of
not using [readsf~]).

I hope this will help you. If not (enough), please formulate your
question more specific if you'd like a more detailed answer.

--Funs