[PD] Gem and audio pause/clicks

Jm Jones juanmjv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 06:25:37 CET 2013

2013/3/16 Alexandros Drymonitis <adrcki at gmail.com>:

> though. Anyway, why do you need to move windows around? Especially the Gem
> window. During a performance or installation or whatever, why should the Gem
> window move?

Well, im testing the software to know what can/cant do. And I wanted
to know if some behavior was normal or maybe  a fault in my
configuration.
Anyway, Im testing Gem window creation in another screen via offset
command, and i can move the patches windows without problems.
To move patches windows (not the  gem one) during performance seems a
must! But as I said, it works ok.
I  was just reading a Max tutorial and i discovered the overdrive
option that gives priority to the data procesing over the graphics,
its seems that    even with  powerful computers this task is a
difficult one.

> On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM, John Harrison <john.harrison at alum.mit.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> Based on what you said, one solution would be to run 2 Pd instances. Have
>> one only generate the audio. Manipulate it using the 2nd patch (the one you
>> will directly manipulate) using netsend/netreceive. This works especially
>> well if your CPU has more than one core. It could be [pd~] could address
>> your problem as well, but I haven't had as good luck with that approach. Or
>> maybe if you made the audio latency high enough it would help, if latency is
>> not an issue for you.
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Jm Jones <juanmjv at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, im back learning pd/max. Im playing with both Pd-extended and Max
>>> 6, I know that i must choose one, at least in this stage : )
>>> Im interested in midi control but also in  visuals, VJing and audio
>>> visual interaction. Currently im trying the simplest idea that crossed
>>> my mind, controlling some effects  in gem with data from a peakamp. I
>>> have glitches and the  audio pauses when i move the windows (specially
>>> the Gem window), is this normal? if i set up  an environment with 2
>>> screens (the case in a  gig) can i freely manipulate the patches
>>> without fear?
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> Juan Manuel Jones