[PD] Large File Support on Linux

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Mon Mar 18 17:47:47 CET 2013

> the problem with that is, that s_path implements an API available for
> externals.
> if open_via_path() returns a filehandle for an LFS file, and the
> external has been compiled without LFS, the filehande will be
> incompatible. see [1] for a discussion.
>
> i guess the only clean way to solve that, is to provide a complete
> wrapper around the file API, so an external has functions guaranteed
> to work with the filehandle returned by Pd.
> currently there are sys_open()/sys_close() and its f*-variants.
> but we would need at least sys_(f)seek and sys_(f)stat, but
> preferrably a complete wrapper around LFS-compatible file functions [2].
>
> all this functionality (including the handilng of UTF filenames on
> W32) is not really Pd-related, and could well be factored out into a
> separate library.

Thanks for the clear explanation of the matter, IOhannes.

Why not simply recompile externals after fixing s_path? Pd-extended already
comes with most externals recompiled for every new release and adding legacy
stuff just creates more confusion in maintaining the source down the road.
In other words, FWIW and IMHO I think there is way too much effort the
community is trying to pour into binary compatibility for a system that
clearly begs for further enhancements in the core API.

Best wishes,

Ico