[PD] MobMuPlat for Ipad and expr~ woes

Scott R. Looney scottrlooney at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 18:34:08 CET 2013

peter brinkmann is the guy who who would know best, but i seem to remember
pretty clearly that he stated somewhere [expr] and [expr~] were ok to use
with libPD on the AppStore. in other words (i assume) they had been
recompiled from source in a more compatible license.

here's the bit that clearly states that the vanilla version of PD does not
have the right version of [expr] and [expr~] this is older news from about
2011 i think:

https://github.com/libpd/libpd/wiki/misc

and here's the bit where they mention [expr] and [expr~] are now under
LGPL, but it doesn't appear to solve the issue definitively:

http://createdigitalnoise.com/discussion/1341/can-i-use-pd-extended-with-libpd/p1

the total solution if you want that specific functionality (that i am aware
of) is to recompile [expr] and [expr~]  from source and put it under a BSD
or MIT license.

the alternative is to redo that functionality with simple vanilla objects.
there's a nice thread her on the PD forum about it:

http://puredata.hurleur.com/sujet-6980-way-rewrite-expr

hope this helps somewhat,

best,
scott