[PD] "musical" timing, something like Max´s "metrical timing Transport" and [metro 16n]

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Fri Mar 22 04:30:10 CET 2013

I don't have an exact plan on how to do this without spending a lot of time
finding the most effective way for getting the accurate sample positions.
Maybe someone else has done that before.

However, in your particular case I would simply use midi clock from Ableton
to sync the two. That looks much easier.

If your timing resolution is a maximum of 24 clocks per quarter note you
don't have to do anything. Just trigger the Pd sequencer steps from the
incoming midi clock.

If you need a higer resolution you could simply use a [timer], [cputime] or
[realtime] to check the time from one clock to another and use that for
subdividing for higher resolutions.

As in the example below with 120 BPM and 500 ms per beat each midi clock
would have a resolution of 20.83333... ms (500 / 24). Using a resolution of
96 / quarter note you would have to divide this by 4 which comes out to
5.208333... ms.

(BTW, you can see already from the 5.2083333333... ms that the time you
would have to enter for the metro would render a tempo that is slightly
off!)

Syncing to midi clock would allow you to follow the tempo that is programmed
in Ableton without having to worry about calculating the duration of each
clock.

In Pd use [midiin] and [route] or [select] to get F8 (hex) = 248 (decimal).
This is how to get the clock time of 96 clocks / quarter note:

[midiin]

[sel 248]

 [t b b]
  |   |
 [timer]

  [/ 4]

Don't start interpolation until the second incoming clock (or provide a
usable value before the first clock is coming in). I.e. when starting jump
from 0 to 4 and then increase by 1.

Check out the midi specs for additional features like song pointer or midi
timecode (which has nothing to do with midi clock), etc.

Ingo