[PD] vanilla replacement for polygate~ ?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 22 22:35:44 CET 2013

>________________________________

    polygate~, which is listed as a switch between multiple signal
    inputs. I would like to make a patch for IPAD/MOBmuPLat that has
    this in the patch but i am wondering what a good vanilla substitute
    might be for it?

You can't.  Or-- you can, but it will be a cheap imitation that either
a) always has some maximum number of inlets, or b) uses nonlocal
receive names to make up for the fact that you cannot dynamically
instantiate inlets inside an abstraction because the [loadbang]
inside will only fire after the connections in the parent patch have
finished.  (I.e., you'll get broken connections if you save the patch
and open it again.)

You need [initbang] to create the [inlet]s before the parent tries to
make the connections.  The [initbang] object is in Pd-extended and
Pd-l2ork, but not Pd-Vanilla.  There is no process or plan to get it in to
Pd-Vanilla, so if you are bound to using Pd Vanilla only you are
quite simply stuck.

-Jonathan