[PD] Nikon DSLR Capture with Pd

Luiz Naveda lab.naveda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 22:42:52 CEST 2013

Hi there,

Some time ago I made a system using pd + arduino to trigger my Pentax via
infrared at specific time points. The goal was to take shots of paper
objects jumping in a paper bed attached to a speaker.  It is part of a
series of studies of paper design and photography. See some photos here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dlbh1642r4h0vtj/f-k8i1R23f (and work here http://
paperdesign.naveda.info)

It didn´t work well because there were hidden delays in the chain from PD
to the Infrared led ...and the speaker was driven by pulses around 10 hz. I
don't know if the patch is useful but the arduino code was based on the
code from:

http://sebastian.setz.name/arduino/my-libraries/multi-camera-ir-control/

So, if you have no problems with latency, just build a arduino-pd system
(see pduino), get an infrared led and have fun!

Let me know if its clear or if you need any help.

Luiz Naveda

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM, me.grimm <megrimm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone been able to capture images from a Nikon DSLR with Pd?
>
> I have a student who is able to control her dslr with osx "image capture"
> (space bar takes an image) but we can not seem to figure out how to capture
> directly with/to pd OR even trigger "image capture" with pd might work also
> for now....
>
> BTW this is through the USB cable.
>
> thinking out loud - can pd send a system wide event like "space bar"
> though shell maybe to "image capture"?
>
> that is if pd can not control dslr directly

> --

Luiz Naveda
- PhD researcher
http://www.ipem.ugent.be/samba
- Director SysMus09
http://www.ipem.ugent.be/sysmus09

IPEM - Institute for Psychoacoustics and Electronic Music
Ghent University
Office: + 32 9 264 4127
Blandijnberg 2
Ghent, B-9000