[PD] State of dssi/plugin support on Linux (Ubuntu 12.04)

Jamie Bullock jamie at jamiebullock.com
Sun Apr 7 10:23:02 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 7 Apr 2013, at 05:15, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 04/07/2013 12:08 AM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I did some digging around existing plugin solutions for fluidsynth and other synths on Linux and so far had no luck. pluginhost~ segfaults as soon as it is loaded (help patch does). Removing ":hexter" from the [pluginhost~ hexter.so:hexter 2] fixes this but one cannot open any of the guis (they all either do not do anything or eventually crash pd. The old fluid~ is gone, nowhere to be found, so is dssi~. It is possible that this problem stems from some weird configuration on my system but before I try digging in that direction, just wanted to see what everyone else's thoughts were on this one. The problem btw manifests both on local build of pd-extended and pd-l2ork. Not sure about vanilla...
> To add to this, jack-dssi-host fluidsynth-dssi.so works perfectly fine. In pd/pd-l2ork when creating [pluginhost~ fluidsynth-dssi.so] works (creates 3 outlets and reports no errors) but trying to open the gui does nothing. I do get a warning about DSSI path not set, but its defaults are correct (and the external finds the .so file fine). Trying something like [pluginhost~ calf.so:Reverb] (or reverb) or any other legitimate combo that uses ":<plugin>" crashes pd immediately. Has anyone else had any luck with it or has any alternatives?

My intention is to fully support [pluginhost~] on Linux (dssi~ is deprecated and surpassed by pluginhost~), although I don't use Linux much these days, so I may not notice bugs quickly.

I am away from my computer right now, but I'll take a look at these issues tomorrow morning and hopefully provide a fix.

Best,

Jamie

--
http://jamiebullock.com