[PD] PD patch processing sounds from a bubble-wrapped room

Maurice Rickard maurice at mauricerickard.com
Sat Apr 13 18:29:23 CEST 2013

Last weekend I did an installation in a room wrapped in bubble-wrap.  Friends had the idea, and asked me to "do something interesting with sound."

A bubble-wrap pop isn't terribly interesting on its own, so I thought I'd pitch-shift (starting with the pitchshift example patch) and delay the inputs, and then I added randomization of the pitch shifting and delay parameters.  On top of that, I randomized the intervals at which the params were updated.  I used four mic inputs and randomized panning to four outputs.  The patch, ultimately, looked like this:

http://onezeromusic.com/snwv/impulse_noise.png

Kind of ugly there, but it's a work in progress, and worked great for the three-and-a-half-hour installation time.  I didn't worry much about feedback, but the mics did pick up the input, so there was a generative thing going on there, particularly by the end.

The results, summed to stereo:
http://snwv.bandcamp.com/album/impulse

Now I'm experimenting the patch on oscillators:
https://soundcloud.com/maurice-rickard/tonebubble2

In a few weeks, I'll be doing an improv show in which I'll use this on guitar.  Should be fun.

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com | http://onezeromusic.com | http://yoctonaut.com