[PD] Negative input numbers for [pow] return 0

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Apr 22 22:43:17 CEST 2013

On 04/22/2013 04:07 PM, Joe White wrote:
> Would it be possible
> to add this to [pow] as well? Something like for negative base values,
> non-integer exponent values would return NaN?

bien sur, it would be easy to add this.
the thing is, do we really want that?
having NaN's somewhere in your computation will have all the results
become NaN, including any signals.
NaN-signals don't sound good.

> Additionally for [pow] to output '0' seems wrong, because that is
> definitely not the answer. I've never seen NaN output elsewhere so I'm
> assuming [expr] outputs a symbol and not some Pd defined NaN type (maybe?).

no. the output is a number of the value NaN (which gets displayed as
NaN, but this doesn't mean it a symbol ,just like "1e-8" is not a symbol
either...usually)

fmgar
IOhannes