[PD] Sensors GPIO Raspberry Pi Pd

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 25 16:54:14 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-25 10:37, Julian Brooks wrote:
> 'Nother 2 dumb questions:
> What's the difference between the ones that have spider/centipede type
> legs and the straight ones (which would be best to get).

The PDIP package is what you want, not the SOIC. The only difference is
size. DIP packages are human-friendly, surface mount is for robots.

> And also are you attaching the MC14051 to any type of board/adaptor or
> just soldering straight on to the pins?

I have it in a breadboard right now, to make it more permanent I would
solder a socket to a prototyping board then (after verifying the
connections) plug the chip into the socket. Soldering to the pins makes
it difficult to replace the IC, and risks damaging it with the heat if
you're not good at soldering quickly and to the point. A CD4051 would
also work, it's basically the same circuit.

Martin