[PD] batteries for audio cards

Pierre-Olivier Boulant po.boulant at free.fr
Fri Apr 26 18:38:40 CEST 2013

Same here!

I'm just concerned some Li-ion/Li-po batteries do not have an
over-discharge protection and this could be an issue if you try to
recharge a Li* battery that's been drained beyond its inversion voltage.
Ask Boeing about this... ;)
I doubt this has been included in the RME sound cards since they are
built to take almost any kind of low voltage power (AC and DC).

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

>     Over-discharging Lithium-ion
>
> Li-ion should never be discharged too low, and there are several
> safeguards to prevent this from happening. The equipment cuts off when
> the battery discharges to about 3.0V/cell, stopping the current flow.
> If the discharge continues to about 2.70V/cell or lower, the battery’s
> protection circuit puts the battery into a sleep mode. This renders
> the pack unserviceable and a recharge with most chargers is not
> possible. To prevent a battery from falling asleep, apply a partial
> charge before a long storage period.
>
> Battery manufacturers ship batteries with a 40 percent charge. The low
> charge state reduces aging-related stress while allowing some
> self-discharge during storage. To minimize the current flow for the
> protection circuit before the battery is sold, advanced Li-ion packs
> feature a sleep mode that disables the protection circuit until
> activated by a brief charge or discharge. Once engaged, the battery
> remains operational and the on state can no longer be switched back to
> the standby mode.
>
> Do not recharge lithium-ion if a cell has stayed at or below 1.5V for
> more than a week. Copper shunts may have formed inside the cells that
> can lead to a partial or total electrical short. If recharged, the
> cells might become unstable, causing excessive heat or showing other
> anomalies. Li-ion packs that have been under stress are more sensitive
> to mechanical abuse, such as vibration, dropping and exposure to heat.

You need to make sure you have an over-discharge protection that cuts
off the power when reaching about 3.2V per cell (3 cell would be between
9.0V and 9.6V). I'm not sure I have this in the pack I use... :/

Some more detail to read when you've set your bedroom on fire ;)
http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/pdf/research/rflithiumionbatterieshazard.pdf

Lead batteries don't like being over-drained either. It's just not as
dangerous to recharge a Pb that's been drained too much.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Pierre-Olivier

On 26/04/2013 18:03, Antoine Villeret wrote:
> hey,
>
> i got a car cigarette lighter plug adaptor with my RME fireface,
> so just take a 12V Pb battery from a teenager motorcycle and go !
>
> if you need a lighter solution, look at LiPo battery from R/C model
>
> cheers

> --
> do it yourself
> http://antoine.villeret.free.fr
>

> 2013/4/26 Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com
> <mailto:porres at gmail.com>>
>
>     hey folks, anyone have recomendations for battery packs for audio
>     cards?
>
>     wanna try some stuff going mobile, anybody doing that? Looking for
>     some high capacity for my multiface/RME (takes 9-.12V, 2A)
>
>     thanks

~    Pierre-Olivier Boulant     ~
-o-     www.puffskydd.net     -o-
~   www.flickr.com/pob31/sets   ~