[PD] UA-25 on RPI

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sat May 4 18:15:30 CEST 2013

For what it's worth, output did work using:

pd-extended -nogui -noadc -audiooutdev 3 test.pd

with 3 being the direct alsa interface as opposed to the alsa plug interface.

It's when I enable the audioindev that I get crackles. I know there are people out there using the UA-25 + jack, but I never needed jack before with an embedded setup.

Part of the issue might be the RPI's real-time kernel. My old wearable setup was far more unstable with a realtime kernel and using a regular kernel with realtime permissions for PD worked far better.

On May 4, 2013, at 11:52 AM, Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> HI Dan -
>
> I tried and got even less far than you apparently did, and gave up.  It's too
> bad - the UA 25 is the best USB-powered interface I've found so far.  For the
> Pi I now use small, cheap, recent-vintage ones like the Griffin iMic. (but
> there are even cheaper ones :)  If you have low-impedance mics, my best
> guess would be to use an impedance matching transformer (lo to hi) and then
> a "PC mic" (high impedance) interface.
>
> cheers
>
> On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 10:57:35AM -0400, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>> Howdy everyone,
>>
>> Anyone had luck with a Roland/Edirol UA-25 with PD on a RaspberryPi? I've gotten it working fine with output, but enabling input gives me crackles and bad cpu usage. Ideally, I want 2 in / 2 out and this audio interface has worked wonderfully with Linux on older/slower machines in the past. The RPI should have no problem spec-wise to run this with PD using only alsa ...
>>
>> --------
>> Dan Wilcox
>> @danomatika
>> danomatika.com