[PD] High CPU usage when tracks are muted (Raspberry Pi)

Halfdan Mouritzen halfdan at robothangarskib.dk
Sun May 5 19:52:15 CEST 2013

On 5 May 2013 18:42, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:
> Even though you don't have audio coming out when you're muting, you're
> still doing dsp.

Yes, what I don't understand though is _why_ we see such an increase
in CPU load, when the channels are muted.

> You should put each channel in a sub patch or abstraction
> and use [switch~] to enable/disable that abstraction. This is super
> important with low resource machines. The best fix is to do a quick (10-5ms)
> fade in/out when muting/unmuting, then hit [switch~] so you don't get any
> clicks:

The tracks are already seperated into abstractions, so this will be
easy to implement.

Since the help for switch~ displays block~-help, I had mistaken the
switch~ object as controlling blocksize as well.

I will implement your suggestions straight away - thanks!

Halfdan