[PD] High CPU usage when tracks are muted (Raspberry Pi)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sun May 5 21:48:19 CEST 2013

On Son, 2013-05-05 at 12:42 -0400, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> Even though you don't have audio coming out when you're muting, you're
> still doing dsp. You should put each channel in a sub patch or
> abstraction and use [switch~] to enable/disable that abstraction. This
> is super important with low resource machines. The best fix is to do a
> quick (10-5ms) fade in/out when muting/unmuting, then hit [switch~] so
> you don't get any clicks:

this part:

[unpack f f]
|        /
[del     ]

[switch~]

is most likely not doing what you are expecting it to do.  A [delay]
outputs only bangs and no numbers. [switch~ ], however, will only
compute one block when banged.

Also the [unpack]-[del] combination is weird as it first sets the delay
time to 5 and then immediately to 1 or 0 (depending on which message got
banged). Also, you don't want to apply the delay to both messages. When
fading in, computation must be already turned on. The delay is only
required for the fade-out.

I modified slightly to what I think you meant to do.

Roman