[PD] how to use the vlc plugin in GEM?

Ricardo Cedeño drnn_1076 at hotmail.com
Mon May 6 16:15:05 CEST 2013

HI,

I just compiled the GEM-master from git. I want to stream what I have in VLC in GEM via to pix_video.
I'm in linux, opensuse 12.3, puredata vanilla 0.44.0, and GEM-master downloaded form git today.

However I'm not able to get it work. I'm puzzled. How does this work? I've tried the to send the message [device screen://( to [pix_video] but I've got nothing on the screen and the following message:

Cannot open '': 2, No such file or directory
v4l: failed opening device: 'screen://'
videoDC1394: no cameras found

Here is the output I've got when pix_video is running using the 04.video patch.

[pix_video]: backend #0='v4l2'    : v4l2 analog
[pix_video]: backend #1='v4l'    : v4l analog
[pix_video]: backend #2='dc1394'    : dc1394 iidc
[pix_video]: backend #3='vlc'    : vlc

When the fourth backend is hit 'vlc' I've got:

Cannot open '/dev/video3': 2, No such file or directory
v4l: failed opening device: '/dev/video3'
videoDC1394: no cameras found

This is the output when GEM starts:

GEM: Graphics Environment for Multimedia
GEM: ver: 0.93.
GEM: compiled: May  6 2013
GEM: maintained by IOhannes m zmoelnig
GEM: Authors :    Mark Danks (original version)
GEM:        Chris Clepper
GEM:        Cyrille Henry
GEM:        IOhannes m zmoelnig
GEM: with help by Guenter Geiger, Daniel Heckenberg, James Tittle, Hans-Christoph Steiner, et al.
GEM: found a bug? miss a feature? please report it:
GEM:     homepage http://gem.iem.at/
GEM:     bug-tracker http://sourceforge.net/projects/pd-gem/
GEM: compiled for MMX/SSE2 architecture
GEM: using SSE2 optimization
GEM: detected 8 CPUs
GEM: image loading support: magick SGI jpeg tiff
GEM: image saving support: jpeg magick tiff

Ricardo Cedeño Montaña
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Institute of Cultural History and Theory