[PD] chaining glsl effects Re: pidip

me.grimm megrimm at gmail.com
Tue May 7 22:30:18 CEST 2013

im just getting a chance to look at this closer.

i think the idea is to be able to insert a glsl effect as easy as i
would a pix object into a chain however I want. it should be easy
enough that beginner students could just throw a couple of effects
between [pix_video] and [pix_texture] for example as though it WAS a
pix object.

there is a description in marius's paper at pdcon09 but his objects
were lost do to server crash i guess.

http://gem.iem.at/community/conventions/convention09/schebella.pdf

ive also been looking at [pix_shader] which is a good starting point.

i thought i would write a follow up thinking about this because maybe
there should be some more glsl documentation? or maybe clearer
documentation?

i also notice that the [pix_texture] help file has no description for
Inlet 2... hmmmm

ive seen some attempts at some sort of jitter/glsl (which i know
nothing about) called [glsl.slab] and [glsl.slab2]???

but maybe its not possible to make the glsl stuff work so clean and
intuitively as marius's paper describes.... at least not as far as my
understanding can go.

Again, it should be as easy as:

[gemhead]

[pix_video]

[glsl-effect-01]

[glsl-effect-02]

[pix_gain] (or whatever)

[glsl-effect-03]

[pix_texture]

[rectangle 5.5 4]

... but maybe im dreaming.

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Cyrille Henry <ch at chnry.net> wrote:

> Le 07/02/2013 19:02, me.grimm a écrit :
>
>> glsl effects (i never did quite figure out an easy way to chain effects)
>
> use framebufffer :
> render the image in a framebuffer with a shader, then draw the 1st
> framebuffer texture in a 2nd framebuffer with a 2nd shader etc.
> it's quite easy, and hundred time faster than doing video computing in CPU.
>
> cheers

m.e.grimm | m.f.a | ed.m.
megrimm at gmail.com