[PD] Edirol UA25 on rPi (was) ESI Gigaport HD+ on RPI

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri May 10 18:53:48 CEST 2013

Well, on Linux it enables the Midi ports but it also forces capture/playback to 48k/96k at 24 bit. In my experience, the latter is what borks the USB communication as there isn't enough bandwidth on USB 1 for full stereo duplex of anything other then 16bit, 44.1k. The Edirol "advanced drivers" for OSX & Win can somehow handle that, but of course the Linux drivers don't and you get hard locks. These devices were designed before USB 2.0, so they Roland/Edirol were doing non-standard tricks ...

In any case, the advanced mode switch *does* work with Linux, provided you only want to either capture or playback, but not both simultaneously. I'd imagine it would work with 1 input and 1 output, but I bet that's not an option at the driver level ...

On May 10, 2013, at 12:32 PM, Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Thanks Julian and Dan -
>
> I've never known what that button did but now I guess i do - it makes the
> device fail.

> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:52:05AM -0400, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>> I can confirm that! Got nailed in a live show some years ago when the switch was accidentally in advanced mode. The USB bus would explode whenever I loaded a patch with audio in ...
>>
>> On May 10, 2013, at 5:04 AM, pd-list-request at iem.at wrote:
>>
>>> From: Julian Brooks <jbeezez at gmail.com>
>>> Subject: [PD] Edirol UA25 on rPi (was) ESI Gigaport HD+ on RPI
>>> Date: May 9, 2013 9:37:54 PM EDT
>>> To: Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu>
>>> Cc: pd-list <pd-list at iem.at>
>>>

>>> Hi Miller,
>>>
>>> Just spotted this and remembered you mentioned an Edirol UA25:
>>>
>>> 'I've found that with my Edirol UA-25 I have to disable Advance mode in order to make it work in full duplex with JACK.'
>>>
>>> From here:
>>> http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=286222#p286222
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Julian
>>>

>>> On 27 April 2013 16:25, Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>>> I can't report about that but I have another compliant USB 1.1 interface,
>>> Edrol UA25, which I've never been able to get to work with a pi.  So I think
>>> this is confirmation that that can indeed sometimes happen (if it were just
>>> one of us perhaps it could have been a fluke).
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>

>> --------
>> Dan Wilcox
>> @danomatika