[PD] audio apis

michael noble looplog at gmail.com
Thu May 23 16:15:48 CEST 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 5:43 AM, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> wrote:

> 7) Does anyone using GNU/Linux system want to use pulse-audio with Pd?
> The main reason would be easy software mixing-- for example, you could
> watch a tutorial on youtube and get sound out of a running instance of Pd
> without doing any configuration whatsoever.  (At least that's what Pulse
> Audio claims-- I haven't used it so much.)

I won't join the league of pulse haters. For a long time I've found it just
works as it claims to, so long as I dedicate a separate sound card to pulse
and one to JACK. In fact, with multiple cards pulse can hot-switch the
output or input card with ease and without audible glitches. That being
said, I don't and probably won't use pulse for anything related to audio
production. That is what JACK is for. If I need to use Pd with pulse, there
is always the jack-pulse plugin.