[PD] OT: another linux system question

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri May 24 18:00:54 CEST 2013

On Fri, 2013-05-24 at 17:20 +0200, João Pais wrote:

> > I don't see why debian is not a 'more "general" distro' and why it would
> > not be able to do the same things ubuntu has to offer (especially if you
> > only need to use Pd and jack).
>
> that was my thought as I decided for debian instead of ubuntu

Debian Squeeze is from May 2011 and the version of its packages is
likely even older. There is not really a point in comparing old-stable
Debian with a current Ubuntu. You might want to upgrade to Debian
Wheezy. Could be easier than a re-install to a recent Ubuntu.

Then, Debian officially recommends the stable distribution mainly for
servers and the testing distribution for private/Desktop/Laptop users.
Right now, there is probably not much difference between the two, as the
stable release is still very recent. But in two years your software will
be quite outdated.
Consider that testing is a rolling distribution.

I haven't tried Linux Mint myself, but public feedback seems to be
generally positive. One flaw hinders me to even try it: In-place
upgrades are not supported. The canonical way of upgrading a Linux Mint
installation is to create a backup, perform the upgrade, re-install the
system, play restore your backup.

Roman