[PD] "pd: exiting" on RPi running arch

James Dunn james at 4thharmonic.com
Sun May 26 17:05:15 CEST 2013

Hi,

I have installed Arch linux on my Raspberry Pi and am logging in with
ssh -Y raspberrypi.local. I can run xterm fine over the connection but
pd fails with no information other than:

$ pd
priority 6 scheduling enabled.
priority 8 scheduling enabled.
watchdog: signaling pd...
pd: exiting

If I set the debug level to 5 I get the following information:

$ pd -d 5
set pd_whichmidiapi 2
priority 6 scheduling enabled.
priority 8 scheduling enabled.
pdtk_watchdog
set ::tmp_path {}
set ::sys_searchpath $::tmp_path
set ::tmp_path {}
lappend ::tmp_path {/home/james/pd-externals}
lappend ::tmp_path {/usr/local/lib/pd-externals}
lappend ::tmp_path {/usr/lib/pd/extra}
set ::sys_staticpath $::tmp_path
set ::startup_flags {}
set ::startup_libraries {}
pdtk_pd_startup 0 43 4 {} { {OSS 2} {ALSA 1} {jack 5} } { {default-MIDI
2} {ALSA-MIDI 1} } {DejaVu Sans Mono} bold
set pd_whichmidiapi 2
pd: exiting

Any ideas why pd can't run over the ssh connection? It runs fine with
the -nogui option.

James