[PD] Forwarding serial data through an Arduino (with firmata) to a serial display

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Wed Jun 5 20:57:18 CEST 2013

Thanks! I'll have a look at the SoftwareSerial library.

> You also need a TTL-to-RS232C voltage converter between the Arduino and
> display.

The serial converter of the display takes already care of that.

> It is probably much simpler to use a separate USB to serial adapter.
> Those work out of the box with Ubuntu and you only have to change the
> serial port name in your patch.

Yes, that works fine but it mixes up the port number of the arduino and the
serial adapter. I can't get the two to be assigned to the same port number
each time Pd starts. They both show up as /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1 on
the [comport].

It also would be cleaner with less cables to have the arduino taking care of
the serial data transfer. If I can't get that to work I'll have to use a
serial adapter and find a good way to distinguish the two automatically.

Ingo