[PD] how to install and use GPIO external

Josh Downing jndowning at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 22:03:53 CEST 2013

How do I install this external? I can open the gpio-help.pd file in pure
data but when I try to open it I get the attached error message
(pd_error_message.png). I assume this is because I haven't installed the
external. I copied the contents of the pi-externs.tgz file that I
downloaded from Miller's site into the following path on my pi:
"/home/pi/pd-externals/". Isn't there something else I need to do though to
install this so that I can use it in PD?

Also, once I get this installed I want to setup GPIO 17 as an input and
then read the state of it. I'm going to alternate between applying 3.3V and
GND to the GPIO 17 pin and I would like to see the high/low status of the
pin change in pure data. See attached screenshot
(gpio_help_configuration.png) for how I configured Jaime's gpio-help.pd
file to do this. All I did was change output 1 to output 0 so that GPIO 17
would be configured as an input. If I want to see the status of the pin
what will I look at in this script to see the high/low status of the pin?
Do I need to modify this script in any other way to be able to see this?

Really appreciate your help!
Josh