[PD] how to install and use GPIO external

Josh Downing jndowning at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 18:02:48 CEST 2013

Thanks for the help guys! So I deleted the "-m32" from the makefile and
then everything seemed to build okay. I then added the correct path for the
extension in pure data and loaded the "gpio-help.pd" patch without getting
an error message. In the gpio-help.pd patch I would click "enable 1" and
then click "open 1" and after clicking "open 1" I would get an error
message: "/sys/class/gpio/gpio17/value: No such file or directory".

I then realized that I probably needed to install wiringPi. I downloaded
this and installed it. However I would still get the previous error message
within PD. I then decided to manually try to create the file using commands
in LXTerminal. I did this using this command, "echo "17" |sudo tee
/sys/class/gpio/export". I then noticed that the gpio17 folder and
accompanying files were created. I was also able to correctly read the
state of the pin using "gpio readall" command from LXTerminal.

I then loaded the "gpio-help.pd" file again in PD. Now once I click "open
1" instead of the no such file or directory error I get
"/sys/class/gpio/gpio17/value: Permision denied" error. Is there someway I
can use this GPIO library within the PD visual interface without getting
permission denied errors? Also, shouldn't clicking "enable 1" within the
gpio-help.pd patch create the "/sys/class/gpio/gpio17" folder and
accompanying files? How can I get this to work within PD without having to
run the commands from LXTerminal to create the folder/files? Do I need to
somehow indicate to pure data the path of wirngPi?

Almost there! Really appreciate your guys patience with me and help on this!

Josh