[PD] l2ork externals install

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Fri Jun 21 00:36:55 CEST 2013

On 06/20/2013 11:35 AM, András Murányi wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu
> <mailto:ico at vt.edu>> wrote:
>
>     I am still in the process of cleaning up externals to make sure
>     they are stable and robust enough to be included. This is a
>     time-consuming process. Some of the work was already started by a
>     colleague Stephen Carl but a lot more work remains. If you (or
>     anyone else) would like to contribute to this process, we do have
>     a google doc up that goes through each external and annotates what
>     needs to be done (e.g. is it stable, does it have robust
>     documentation, like the one Jonathan has been working on, is it a
>     GUI object that needs additional changes to make it "accelerated"
>     within pd-l2ork etc.). That said, I think iem lib should be
>     included as far as I can tell (but may be wrong as well). extra
>     folder does have a collection of iem* subfolders, but I am not
>     sure which specific object is missing. If you can send me specific
>     list of objects missing I can investigate further.
>

> Well, not a definite list, but:
> - moonlib and flatspace: are in the sources, not compiled by default,
> but added to LIB_TARGETS in externals/Makefile can be compiled,
> installed and they do work,
Those have been disabled in pd-l2ork as they have way too many problems
or are redundant. Please correct me if I am missing something.
> - loaders(/libdir): in the sources, not compiled by default, I
> compiled and installed it manually, and it works,
I have that one just fine.
> - miXed(/toxy): in the sources, not compiled by default, I compiled it
> manually and installed it even more manually (ie make install doesn't
> work), and I only tested 'widget', which party works. I need it badly
> though, and 'widget popop', which I use, happens to work. Definitely
> needs some massaging to be included.
Ditto for these just like flatspace and moonlib.

> - iem*: are in the sources, seem to be not compiled by default - and
> this is where I chose to write to the list so cannot yet tell about
> compile/install.

What about all the iem* folders inside the extra/ folder? What objects
exactly are missing? I have:

iem16
iem_adaptfilt
iem_ambi
iem_bin_ambi
iem_delay
iemgui
iemguts
iemlib
iemmatrix
iem_roomsim
iem_spec2
iem_tab
iemxmlrpc

Are you by any chance running a self-built deb? If so, have you made
sure to install all the dev libs? Seems to me if you've built your own
binaries that you may have not successfully built all the libs and that
something has silently failed. Checking the build log may shed some
light as to what is going on.

> András
>

>     On 06/20/2013 08:43 AM, András Murányi wrote:
>>     Hi All, Hi Ivica,
>>
>>     I've reinstalled my box and I'm reinstalling l2ork and I'm having
>>     a hard time getting all the externals I need in place.
>>     Is it possible that some externals are built with ./tar_em_up.sh
>>     -F but not installed with make install?
>>     I got to admit I'm a bit confused (about which ones) because I've
>>     already built and installed moonlib and miXed manually, but now
>>     that I've arrived to iem* I see the binaries are in the build
>>     folder but not in /usr/lib/pd-l2ork/extra.
>>
>>     I'd appreciate some guidance... Thanks!
>>
>>     András

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A
Composition, Music Technology
Director, DISIS Interactive Sound & Intermedia Studio
Director, L2Ork Linux Laptop Orchestra
Head, ICAT IMPACT Studio
Virginia Tech
Department of Music