[PD] pd-0.45 + jack == weirdness

batinste dwanafite at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 26 11:16:27 CEST 2013

I guess that asking Ardour's main dev (Paul Davis, also one of jackd's
devs) about the expected behaviour of a jack app would be a good idea.

While Ardour without audio is pretty useless (not so true anymore since
it does midi now, but well), Pd is not, so my take on this is "don't do
anything i didn't told you to" :

I didn't specified -jack : don't start it, don't connect to it. Let me
handle this.
I didn't specified any audio options : don't do anything, i'll start the
whole mess.

Here is what i get when starting Pd-extended 0.43.4 and jackd 1.9.10 on
ubuntu 13.04 :

~$ pd-extended
priority 6 scheduling enabled.
priority 8 scheduling enabled.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jackdbus should be auto-executed by D-Bus message bus daemon.
If you want to run it manually anyway, specify "auto" as only parameter
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
watchdog: signaling pd...
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started

4 seconds trying to get that there's no jackd running... Did i specified
-jack ? No ! So why is Pd-ext trying to start it ?