[PD] pd-0.45 + jack == weirdness

batinste dwanafite at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 26 12:29:21 CEST 2013

On 26/06/2013 11:31, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2013-06-26 11:16, batinste wrote:
>> I guess that asking Ardour's main dev (Paul Davis, also one of
>> jackd's devs) about the expected behaviour of a jack app would be a
>> good idea.
> i'd rather ask the entire jack-dev crew.
Eventually, but Paul's take on a professionnal jack app is interesting.

> while paul has written the original jack server, he is no longer the
> main authore of jackd2.
I was mentioning his name as someone who develops a jack app as well as
someone who knows what's under jackd's hood.
>> ~$ pd-extended
>>
>> 4 seconds trying to get that there's no jackd running... Did i
>> specified -jack ? No ! So why is Pd-ext trying to start it ?
> most likely because you *did* specify to start "-jack" in your
> preferences.
-jack flag is nowhere to be found on any config file in my system.
~$ cat .pdextended | grep flags
flags:
~$ cat /etc/pd-extended/default.pdextended | grep flags
flags:

> but seriously: i don't think this is a very good example (most likely
> you were trying to prove that my claim that "pd should not try to be
> too clever" was incorrect in many cases).
Nope, i think your point is good ! Pd should only do what you told it to
do !

> what i did forget in my post is:
> yes, i would like to have an "-audio auto" switch, that will try to
> get *any* audio backend (e.g. jack, alsa, oss, dummy; in that order)
agree
> i even think that this should be the default (e.g. when you start Pd
> with no arguments and uninitialized settings).
not agree. What if i don't want to make sound with Pd ? And, worst, what
if i want to ? Especially on linux, where the flash/alsa/pulseaudio is a
mess... I just tried : launch pd-extended -alsa, open a youtube vid :
the vid plays for 4 sec, then stops. Open a youtube vid, then launch
pd-extended -alsa : the vid plays, pd-ext is unusable and unresponsive
when i try to create and patch.
I want the choice. ("use an other OS/distro" is not a valid criticism ;)
) That is why the "audio configuration" menu and the config files are
there for. Unless the "automagical audio backend selection" box is
ticked, i don't want pd to do anything.
> but if the user specifies a given audio backend (e.g. "-audio jack",
> or "-jack" as we currently call it), then Pd should not do something else.
agree

> those who don't like the default "any" config, could specify multiple
> backends, e.g. "-audio alsa,oss"
Why not