[PD] pd-0.45 + jack == weirdness

yvan volochine yvan.pd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 13:20:22 CEST 2013

On 26/06/13 12:57, Nick Lanham wrote:
> In my experience, most people using jack these days are aware that most
> clients will autostart the server if they haven't started it, and it
> does not confuse them.

yeah well in my expericence you don't need to open a terminal and kill
jackd because an app has been too smart and started it for you.

since my first days with linux I learned to:
* start jack
* use my favorite audio app(s)
* stop jack when I'm done

I don't know if the following apps use the old jack API but about
"starting jack for me when I didn't ask them to":

* supercollider does not
* ardour3 does not
* audacity does not
* any media players that I tried don't..

I would expect a call to `jack_client_open()` when I turn DSP on, not
when I launch an app with which I might not make audio at all..

my 0.02£ anyway

http://yvanvolochine.com
http://soundcloud.com/yvanvolochine
http://soundcloud.com/elgusanorojo