[PD] pd-0.45 + jack == weirdness

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jun 26 13:58:40 CEST 2013

On 2013-06-26 12:29, batinste wrote:
> i'd rather ask the entire jack-dev crew.
>> Eventually, but Paul's take on a professionnal jack app is
>> interesting.
>
> while paul has written the original jack server, he is no longer
> the main authore of jackd2.
>> I was mentioning his name as someone who develops a jack app as
>> well as someone who knows what's under jackd's hood.

sure.
the best bet is porbably to just ask on linux-audio-dev, where paul is
a frequent poster and loads of other people who use jack on a semi to
fully professional level.

>> ~$ cat .pdextended | grep flags flags: ~$ cat
>> /etc/pd-extended/default.pdextended | grep flags flags:

because the audio API is not selected via flags.
$ grep audioapi ~/.pdextended /etc/pd-extended/default.pdextended

> what i did forget in my post is: yes, i would like to have an
> "-audio auto" switch, that will try to get *any* audio backend
> (e.g. jack, alsa, oss, dummy; in that order)
>> agree

> i even think that this should be the default (e.g. when you start
> Pd with no arguments and uninitialized settings).
>> not agree. What if i don't want to make sound with Pd ?

currently you do this by running "pd -noaudio".
(i would prefer something like "-audio dummy" or "-audio none")

while it makes perfect sense for Pd to run without audio, i still
think that it is a *very* sane default to enable audio by default, and
only disable it on demand.

> And, worst, what
>> if i want to ? Especially on linux, where the
>> flash/alsa/pulseaudio is a mess... I just tried : launch
>> pd-extended -alsa, open a youtube vid : the vid plays for 4 sec,
>> then stops. Open a youtube vid, then launch pd-extended -alsa :
>> the vid plays, pd-ext is unusable and unresponsive when i try to
>> create and patch.

i never experienced something like this.
it works fine here (pd-vanilla): of course i don't get sound if some
other process blocks it, but everything else works great.

>> I want the choice. ("use an other OS/distro" is not a valid
>> criticism ;) )

definitely.

gfmasd
IOhannes