[PD] Where is vanilla's makefile and other stuff located?

Alexandros Drymonitis adrcki at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 10:05:33 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>wrote:

> On 2013-06-26 09:56, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> > I realised what happened. I've downloaded Pd from Ubuntu software
> > center and it installed everything where it's supposed to go. What
> > now confuses me a bit is that in the software center you can find
> > the following: puredata, puredata-core and puredata-gui. If you go
> > for puredata-core it advices you to also download puredata-gui. If
> > you go for gui, it advices you to download puredata-core, or even
> > puredata...
>
> yes.
> the debian packages are split into multiple packages, so you only have
> to install what you need)
> - - "puredata-core" is the DSP-engine only (no gui)
> - - "puredata-gui"  is the GUI only (not DSP,messages,...)
> - - "puredata" is a meta-package that depends on both (and more, like
> puredata-utils (providing the "pdsend" utility) and "puredata-dev"
> needed, if you want to compile your externals)

I've got both puredata-utils and puredata-dev installed..

> most users will simply want to install "puredata" and get everything.
> those that do not want *everything* but most everything, will go and
> install "puredata-core" and "puredata-gui".
> those that do not need no gui, might be happy with just puredata-core.
>
> > Well, I've downloaded puredata and it's working (although it
> > crashes if I try to open the 'Test audio and midi' patch),
>
> it should never "crash" (as in: "close the application")
>
> > and it's located at /usr/bin/
>
> yes, since "puredata" is managed by the package manager, it should go
> into /usr
>
> > and the rest are located at /usr/lib/puredata (btw, it's version
> > 0..43.0-4,
>
> yep. this is in order to allow pd-vanilla, pd-extended and pd-l2ork
> coexist on the same installation.
>
> > not the current...), but still no icon, still this warning at the
> > Pd
>
> i guess it is time to ask what you mean by this.
> i get a nice icon when selecting "Applications->Multimedia->Pure Data"

Well, I meant when I'm running two applications (say Firefox and Pd) and I
change between them, I Alt + Tab (I was mistaken, not Ctl + Tab), and to
see which app you're switching to, you get the app's logo. Pd doesn't show
a logo there...although it does have a logo on the Launcher...thought that
there might be something missing there.

> > window: WARNING: Font family 'Courier' not found, using default
> > (DejaVu Sans Mono)
>
> yes. is his a problem?

Not really, I don't mind the font, just thought of mentioning it.