[PD] pd-extended crashes sending data to SSR with tcpclient

Matthias Geier matthias.geier at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 20:05:53 CEST 2013

Hi IOhannes.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

[...]
> btw, i don't think that XML is a very good format for controlling an
> application real-time.

I know. At the time it seemed nice for an experimental protocol
because we would be able to quickly add certain information to
existing messages.
Also, we thought we could re-use some code from the parsing of scene files.
Another idea was that it would be easy to debug with WireShark.

But parsing these XML-network-messages can be a pain-in-the-ass, as
Iain experiences right now ...

> how about adding OSC support to SSR?

How about reading my e-mail to the end?

just kidding ... I wrote something along these lines:

>> We have big plans to modularize the network interface of the SSR in a
>> way that different network protocols can be used interchangeably, e.g.
>> WebSockets, FUDI, OSC, ...
>> MIDI could probably also be included there.
>>
>> In addition, we want to implement a publish-subscribe mechanism (for
>> all protocols which have a back-channel) which allows clients to
>> select the exact amount (and probably rate) of information to receive
>> from the SSR.
>>
>> However, currently we just don't have the resources to make these changes.

So yes, we would like to add many things to the SSR, but we don't have
time for most of it ...

cheers,
Matthias