[PD] GOP text field / symbol which is resizeable?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 4 01:13:36 CEST 2013

On 07/03/2013 04:31 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 03:56 -0400, Ivica Bukvic wrote:

>> miscalculated
>> border
>> ([hsl]
>> iemguis used
>> compatibility
>>> If a patch just isn't usable at all on a different flavor, then I
>> don't
>>> see how this doesn't qualify for breaking compatibility.
>>>
>>> Roman
>> I guess we need to clarify what "not usable at all" means. If a patch
>> works but one optional gop hsl is not visible, personally I would say
>> that one element may not be usable and only temporarily.

I agree with Roman.  Patch authors were being very reasonable when
they created their GOPs that just so happened to be based on faulty
logic under the hood.  Those discrepancies were extremely small,
small enough that most patch author's probably didn't even notice the
bug until you pointed it out and fixed it.

So through no fault of their own, their patches are broken on the
distribution of Pd that has a superior UX.  That's a bad situation.

If you have a solution not too far off that will allow such GOP objects
to be functional again, then the temporary breakage is probably ok.
If not, then we need to keep the bug for all eternity and work around it.

To do otherwise is to scare off potential users who have no idea how many
other changes will break their patches because of idiosyncracies
that lurk deep in code that Pd was designed to abstract away from them.

-Jonathan