[PD] iemmatrix - "rotate" matrix

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 9 03:14:42 CEST 2013

Hello,

I'm programming a gui for [mtx_mul~], and it's almost finished. One thing
is missing, and I wanted to know if someone already has a solution for it,
before I break my head trying to find one.

I need to find a way to "rotate" matrixes, in order to coordenate the
controler display, and matrix's format. Following the logic of max's
matrixctrl object, and an usual DAW's display of audio matrixes, the lines
are the inputs, and the columns are the outputs. But, Pd's [matrix]
practise is the opposite.
So I'm trying to implement the "standard industry" display, and output
Pd's [matrix] format.

For example, a 4x2 matrix to control [mtx_mul~] has 8 fields, and will be
like

1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8

or

[matrix 4 2 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8(

that is, columns are inputs, lines are outputs.

But, the current GUI would have the matrix "rotated", in the order

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8

[matrix 4 2 1 5 2 6 3 7 4 8(

where columns are outputs, and lines are inputs.

So repeating to try to make it clear: the gui sends the data in the lower
format, and it has to be "rotated" to match the format above. Is there an
object or technique that does this?

Thanks again,

João