[PD] CPU usage of GUI objects in subpatches

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Mon Jul 15 23:40:47 CEST 2013

I tried this with four versions of a subpatch, one with "nothing" (just an
inlet connected through to an outlet), one with a "float", one with hslider, and
one with a number box (not "number2", just control-3 number).  Subtracting
out the control case, I sent 1000000 random numbers through and asked the
cputime object how much time elapsed, and got approximately:

           float  hsl  number
closed      10    50     150
open        10    50     150

This was usin "until" to loop 1000000times.  Trying the same thing with
"metro 0.001" gives:

closed     <10   50     150
open       <10   60     200

That wasn't at all what I was expecting to see!

This was on a core 2 duo 7600 running at 1.6 GHz (my patch wasn't CPU hungry
enough to make my CPU want to speed up), linux  3.6.3-1.fc17.x86_64 (Fedora)

cheers
Miller